Sunday 19 November 2023

Support and how important it is!

Everyone talks about needing support and they are right! 

Over the years of having problems with my health, I have come to really appreciate having support and feeling cared about. It sounds like such an obvious statement to say but it's true!

I was always such an independent person. I knew what I wanted and I went for it. But being diagnosed with a chronic illness meant I had to change my way of thinking and it is something that I am still working on......it has never come easy. I never expected to need so much help by the time I'm fifty but I'm incredibly lucky to have my husband, Martin, by my side and helping me with everything. I honestly have no idea what I would do without him. He is my full time carer and he does so much for me/us/Rosie but he will always be my husband first and carer second. 


Support comes in many different forms, there is the support you get from the medical side. Mine started with my GP and then my MS consultant, who has been such a valuable person for me to go to when my symptoms change or I just have questions about the condition. I am so lucky with him as he is one of the best and has been involved with a lot of research over the years. It gives me the confidence to go to him when I do have questions. 

Then there is support from family and friends. 

I am blessed to have some wonderful friends who are really there for me.  

There is also the support you get from friends you make along your MS journey and these can be so important as they really do understand what you are going through. You can lean on each other when you're going through difficult times. 
Of course social media has made it a lot easier to connect with people, whether they are from your past or when you are finding new support along the way. 

On the negative side I have also had people who have stopped contacting me because they haven't known how to deal with my situation but I've tried not to take that to heart. It is a difficult situation because if you don't have experience with illness or disability then it's difficult to know how to react to someone. I have found that honesty is the best policy and I am open and honest about my symptoms.....all of them. 
It is quite obvious that I am disabled, especially when I'm using my wheelchair but just because I struggle physically my brain still works and I would much prefer that people talk to me and ask me questions directly. 

When you are given a life changing diagnosis it can be very easy to dig a hole and stay there, but try and remember that there are people around who are possibly experiencing similar things and who are happy to help you through. I know it's not true for everyone but reach out and there will be someone who will guide you. 🥰 

Sending love and Rosie cuddles
XxXxX 💕

Rosie giving her Daddy a massage!

Peekaboo! 😹



No comments:

Post a Comment