Tuesday 30 January 2024

Some more updates!

I have decided that it would be good for me to update you on something that I wrote about back in 2016. It was a post about my bowels and it was something that I was very open and honest about. That particular post had quite an impact and ended up being published in one of the MS Trust magazines, so I was very proud of it. 


It is about a device called Peristeen. This is the link to the post I wrote back in 2016. 
https://talesoflifewithmultiplesclerosis.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/peristeen-hard-story-to-tell.html?m=1

Back in 2010 I was introduced to this device which is used by people who are severely constipated or have problems with their bowels. That was and still is definitely me! 
I was severely constipated.......and I mean severely constipated, it wasn't unheard of for me to go days between having bowel movements and as you can imagine, this was not good for me in any way! 

It was at this time I was prescribed a piece of equipment called Peristeen and it's no joke to say that this piece of equipment changed the way I approached looking after my bowels.


Well, a couple of years ago I saw someone at the Bladder and Bowel clinic and I was prescribed something that has changed things again for me. It is a suppository called Lecicarbon A and l can't tell you how it works on a technical basis but it provides some sort of gas which then encourages your bowels to move whatever is there, down and out, I told you I wasn't technical! 😂

These suppositories really work and have definitely helped to get my bowels working. They are working in an almost "normal" way. I'm not sure that anything about my body is normal anymore but my bowels are definitely better than they have been for a long time! 
You need to give yourself time when using one of these as it can take anything from 15 to 60 minutes, from when it's inserted for it to work but it is worth the time. 
I have found it quite a pleasant change to actually have my bowels working in a "normal" way for once!

I would definitely encourage anyone who is having difficulties with anything that we, as a society, struggle to talk about, to go and see your GP. They have generally heard it all before and won't be embarrassed but they may surprise you and have a suggestion that may make your life a whole lot easier, it's always worth asking! 


Now on to my bladder, about seven months ago I started having issues with my bladder. I wouldn't make it in time to the toilet and this was another situation that I really struggled with. 
I was referred to see someone at the Bladder and Bowel clinic again and I hoped that they would have some answers for me. As it turned out, they did! 
I was emptying my bladder perfectly normally and that was a relief but it didn't explain why I was having "accidents". 

Well it turns out that what I needed was a bit more thought about going to the toilet. As I use crutches and struggle to get anywhere quickly, it was suggested that I need to try and plan my visits. Try and go when I'm in that direction anyway, even if I don't feel like I need to. 
I have started doing this and so far, so good. It has made a big difference to me and because of the hassle of using the crutches and needing to put them down before getting on the toilet, I was panicking about it all. 
So now, by going in a more planned way, it has taken the stress and panic out of it. That's a thumbs up from me! 👍
XxXxX 💕


As always, I like to send out a bit of Rosie love to you all, so I am sharing a look that we get so often from her, it's the "What are you looking at?" face! 






No comments:

Post a Comment