Wednesday 28 February 2024

Pain Consultant Appointment, at last!


So I've finally had my appointment with my pain consultant. We, Martin, the consultant and I, worked out that it's been over eight years since I've had a face to face appointment with him. 

He is a lovely man and I'm acquainted with his wife so firstly we had a good catch up, then I went in to the subject of the lidocaine infusions and that I can't manage with the time schedule being moved from every eight weeks to every twelve weeks.
For anyone who is reading my blog for the first time, I have been having lidocaine infusions for several years and they have always been every eight weeks, except when there is a pandemic, but about a year ago we were informed that the schedule was changing to every twelve weeks. The trouble is that my pain is more manageable for about six weeks after the infusion but by eight weeks I am definitely ready for the next one, so pushing it to every twelve weeks filled me with dread. 
My wonderful GP has been pushing for a face to face appointment with my pain consultant for a while and I was relieved when I got the date through to see him. I explained to him how everything was affecting me and that I really needed to stick to eight weeks but he explained that if he did that for me he'd have to do it for everyone and they just don't have the staff or the space/beds to accommodate it. 
So what was I to do? 

My consultant has given me a prescription for two different medications to try. They are medications that I can use for the four weeks and then stop until the next time I need them, they don't need to be built up over time. It's the perfect time right now because I am right in the middle of weeks eight to twelve, so I am going to see whether either of these have any effect🤞

I have a bit of a history with different pain medication, including opiates. I have tried a lot of different medications, over the years, to try and lessen the nerve pain I have, but I struggled to find anything that would help. 
I had a situation back in 2012 where, unbeknown to me, I had become addicted to an opiate called Oxycodone, this was before all the uproar in America. I had to go into hospital to withdraw from it, so I'm very hesitant to use opiates again. But I trust my consultant and whatever I use, it is only going to be for weeks eight to twelve and then I can stop taking it until the next time. 
He has prescribed Clonidine and Nefopam. I am to try one for a couple of days and see if it helps, then I can try the other one. I am having my lidocaine infusion on 8th March and I can report back to the nurses whether either of these have helped. The other thing that he has told me is that one of the other pain meds that I am already taking, called Duloxetine, I can increase that up to double the amount and see if that helps. It is another one that I am able to increase and then I can decrease it once I've had the lidocaine. 
It will be a bit of a trial for the first couple of times, to find the right combination of meds that give me relief, but I'm used to that and have learnt to have a bit of patience until I get the relief I need but I'd be lying if I said it was easy 😞 
Actually the relief I need would be to stop all the buzzing, the pins and needles and burning sensations that I have but as I know that the MS has caused the damage and that isn't going to happen, I need to make the best of a horrible situation, so it's onwards and upwards 😀

Amelia
XxXxX 💕

As always, I like to share a bit of Rosie love, she is such a sweetheart! 

She actually sat on my lap for the first time in ages! 😻

No comments:

Post a Comment