Monday, 6 April 2009

I made it through!

Monday 6th April came round a lot quicker than I expected. When I told my manager that I was looking at this date to return to work, it seemed like I would be off for ages. Yet the alarm went off this morning and I was quite disappointed!!
I went into work feeling quite positive though and determined to give it my best shot. I was straight on the checkouts. I had hoped I may be doing some letters today but there wasn't enough space in the office. Actually I was glad that I was on the checkouts because it was good to talk to people. After all that is why I go into work!
I managed to do about an hour and a half, before I started feeling weary. Then my right arm started to feel quite weak and I was struggling to lift the items from my belt. So after two hours I decided that I had done enough for today. I could have dug my heals in and stayed but I am trying to be sensible! Having been off for over three weeks and with all the drugs I have had in my system, it would be unreasonable of me to think I could go back with no problems. So I decided that I would speak up and ask to go home. That was sorted out with no problems, but I was slightly annoyed that I was asked to do a return to work. I have never had to do one before, when I have been off work for steroid treatment. And it's not like they didn't know what it was for. I told them well enough in advance. I was also told that he is not sure whether it will go to an investigation, because I have had 4 periods of sickness within 6 months. I am not stressing about it this time though. If it does go to an investigation, there is nothing I can do about it. And I have my disability on my side. They knew about the MS when they hired me and they knew I was going to be off for treatment, so there really isn't anything to investigate!!
It is just annoying that they have to be officious. I can understand that they have these procedures in place. We are a big company and absence is a problem. But you would think that someone would have the sense to look at my case and see that I can't change it. Oh well we'll just have to see what happens over the next few weeks.
I have been able to come home and just rest, which has been good. I am not back in again until Wednesday morning so plenty of time to recharge my batteries. 
Some good news this afternoon though. I finally got a phone call to say that our new sofa and chair have arrived at the store. We are having it delivered on Wednesday!! It will make such a difference to have a sofa that is easier to get out of. The seats are spring loaded - we won't know ourselves!! I can see me curling up on the sofa even more than normal!


  1. I'm glad you were able to come home and rest, & that your don't have to go back until Wed. Hooray for new furniture ;-). With my claw-happy older cat I am better off keeping the older things I have. ~Mary

  2. Hi Amelia,

    Hope the new sofa and chair are wonderfully comfortable.
    Take care hope you feel better soon.