Sunday, 22 March 2009

I did it!!

I have finally sung in public, once again, and it wasn't a disaster!!
In fact, I have had only positive comments and lots of encouragement. :))))))
Friday came and I woke up a little disturbed. I have been having hearing problems in my right ear, because it is my right side that has been affected by this latest relapse. But on Friday, I realised I was having problems with both the right and left ears. Inside, I was quite worried but I didn't want to show it, so I carried on as though everything was OK. 
Apart from my hearing and being in pain, I felt quite excited about the prospect of singing again. The evening itself, went quickly. We weren't on until the second half, so about 9pm, but we had to be there early to do a sound check and get our head microphones. We are singing with a 40 piece orchestra, so we need the mics, to be heard!  
Everyone involved did really well and we made a great sound - even if I say so myself! 
My only concern, was whether I had sung mine in tune!! Having dodgy hearing is the worst thing that can happen when you are trying to sing! But apparently, all was well, and my solo was a success.
I must admit, that by the end, I was exhausted. The whole build up and anticipation had really taken it's toll. But mixed in with that was the satisfaction that I had achieved what I had set out to do. 
I proved that even with MS, and also being in the middle of a relapse, I was able to do something I loved and I pulled it off. 
I couldn't have done it without the constant support of Martin. 
And, of everyone involved in the concert. They have all been amazing. Nothing has been too much trouble for them, they just want me to feel comfortable. That in itself, means more to me than anything. 
We had our second concert last night, which too, went very well. Unfortunately, I stumbled over some of the words. According to everyone else, it wasn't noticeable. But to me (and Martin) it was obvious. It wasn't a major blip and I covered it up, but I knew I hadn't been perfect, so I was disappointed in myself. 
Our next ones aren't until next Thursday and Friday, so I have a few days to relax now. Followed by our first How Apt gig on Sunday. I have a rehearsal for that tomorrow. I really need to make sure that I am confident with lyrics for that gig. I am involved far more with that one, as there is only five of us singing, so a lot more responsibility! 
We have had some publicity for it already. Follow this link and this should take you to an article that was in our local paper. 
Altogether I am very happy. It has given me the confidence to believe that I am capable & able to continue singing in the future. 

From the MS side of things, I would be lying if I said it was easier than I expected. 
It was and continues to be a struggle. But I figure, if I can do it while I am in the middle of a relapse, then I should be OK to continue doing it anytime. 
My pain is still pretty bad and the tingly numbness hasn't subsided yet. I am taking the oral steroids and have my appointment for the infusions, which will be a week tomorrow for three days. I have also had my appointment through for the MRI scans, which will be done next Friday morning. So things are moving forward now. 
I am making the most of this time now to rest. I keep being told that I need to listen to my body and ensure that I get enough rest, so I am trying to be a good girl and do just that! There is a first time for everything you know!!


  1. Hi Amelia,

    Congratulations wonderful stuff.
    Really pleased to read this post.
    Keep resting up well for your next performances.
    Take care.

  2. well done,will you please take it easy n rest?? take care,love mort xx

  3. Well done! I am made up for you!

  4. Congrats on the concerts!! Brava, I'm sure that you were fantastic. More performances to come in the future, I'm sure.