Wednesday 25 February 2009

Massage Tuesday!

This was the day that I was looking forward to. I had had quite a bad night's sleep and struggled to get up. So the thought of a massage was great. I was a little concerned that I might fall asleep through it though!!
Kirsty, the massage therapist, is lovely. She is fully aware of my situation and we had agreed that she would use light pressure, because of the sensitivity issues with my skin. The last one I had was an Indian head massage, which was done on a proper chair. That was great but I did find that I was aware of my legs falling off it. I am unable to control what my legs do, so it was a little difficult. This time I was having a Destresser massage, which meant I was on the bed. I found this to be much more comfortable and as it moves up and down, it was easy for me to get on to it. 
When Kirsty started on my back, I did wonder if I was going to have to ask her to stop. The sensations on my skin on my back were really painful. I hadn't realised just how painful because I don't touch my back! I decided that I would let her continue a little bit longer and see if I could bare it, to see if it helped in the long run. It was interesting because the quicker she rubbed the skin, the more painful it was and the slower, the more bearable it was. I guess that's to do with the amount of friction generated. 
So I managed to hold out for the back, as she then moved up to my neck and shoulders which weren't so painful. I then turned over onto my back so that she could continue with my neck, face and head. That was my favourite bit! It was wonderful to have the points on my face soothed. I felt so relaxed at the end!
I told Kirsty how I had felt about the painful sensations etc and we have decided that next time she will combine the two massages. I will lie on the bed because that was by far the more comfortable. And she will mix the two massages with the bits that were the least painful for me. Needless to say I have booked my next one already!
I have to admit that I had a great night's sleep last night. It's amazing how much a massage helps with a lot of things. Of course it feels great but the added sense of well being is really important. The fact that she is bringing oxygen to parts of my body that don't very often get it. 
I have decided that a massage is an important event that I need in my life and I am going to try and fit it in every couple of months.
Thank you so much, Martin, for suggesting that I get on and book it. It was a great suggestion and one I feel I have benefited from. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts!!
XxXxX

No comments:

Post a Comment