Wednesday 18 February 2009

Pain, Pain, Pain.................

When I decided to start this blog, I was determined to be open and honest, but I didn't want to come across as whining and pessimistic. 
Today though I am afraid is a down day. 
I had a reasonable night's sleep but I still woke up feeling exhausted. I had work today and I was determined to go. So I got myself organised and went into work, but boy was I in pain. My feet are unbearably painful. Every time I take a step it's feels like I am walking on crushed glass. They constantly pulse and burn as though I have been out in the freezing cold. My walking was slow and steady today. I made it onto the checkout and stuck it out for two and a half hours. I should have done three but I just couldn't take any more. A colleague asked me why I had come in when I was in so much pain. I thought about it and then thought I would only be sat at home getting frustrated at having given in! It took me a while to walk back from the checkouts to the back of the store, because walking was so painful. My manager let me go though and I have arranged to do an earlier shift on Friday. I was quite emotional when I finished work. I think it was a mixture of pain, frustration and fatigue all rolled into one.  
Once I got home, I took painkillers and just tried to relax. But I can't. My feet are driving me crazy. I am at a loss of what to do next. I am on the maximum dose of Tramadol, I have this Butrans patch and I am taking Ibuprofen. Surely there must be something out there that can help me? 
I think I may call my MS nurse tomorrow, but I don't always feel as though I get anywhere when I speak to them. That is not meant to disrespect them, but I think I must be such a nightmare for them and they have run out of ideas.
Inside I am screaming. I just need some relief from this. 
I apologise that this is such a negative post, I will try and do better tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Please don't feel like you must apologize for anything. Just be honest.

    So it sounds like you work at a checkout in a store. Do you have a stool to sit upon so that you don't have to be on your feet?

    Have you seen a podiatrist (foot doctor) to determine if maybe you would benefit from specially made shoe supports? I did this and discovered that part of my pain was coming from falling arches in addition to MS. At first the doctor taped up my feet (sounds weird but felt amazingly good after awhile) and then took molds to have supports made. It has made a huge difference.

    I hope that you find some relief soon. Definitely call the MS nurse, they might have more ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa,
    Yes I work on the checkouts at an Asda supermarket. I do have a chair and a non slip mat, so I am able to be off my feet. It doesn't stop the pain though. I have to walk quite far from the colleague area to the checkouts though and I sometimes find that can be a struggle.
    I have never seen a podiatrist. I have never thought of that. I will discuss it with my GP next time I see her.
    I have emailed my MS nurse so I am just waiting on a reply. I hope they may be able to suggest something strong that could help.

    Thanks for your ideas, I do appreciate it.
    XxXxX

    ReplyDelete